The Global EdTech Startup Awards (GESA) is the world’s biggest EdTech startup competition. Initiated by MindCET (Israel), GESA was co-founded by the Open Education Challenge (EU) and EdTech UK in 2014. More than 2000 start-ups from all over the world have applied to GESA, and we are pleased to announce that Uptale has won this great competition and has been named the most promising EdTech startup of the year this Wednesday, January 23, 2019!
GESA, a prestigious award
This competition highlights the most outstanding EdTech startups of the year.
The ranking criteria are are to address a clear pain point, relevant to the market, to provide an innovative pedagogical approach, to have an outstanding user experience, to show potential for tremendous growth in its user base, and to operate in the context of a sustainable business model. The winning projects can benefit from a $50,000 prize and multiple business opportunities, including support in international accelerators.
The finalists of the GESA 2018: the future of EdTech
The 13 winners of the national finals met on Wednesday at the Queen Elizabeth II Centre in London and gave a 3 minutes pitch in front of 40 judges and an audience of 300 people.
We invite you to discover the 13 promising startups who are finalists at our side:
– from Hungary, InSimu Patient gives medical doctors and students the opportunity to practice their future clinical work in the safety of virtual reality on simulated patients with the full scale of diagnostic methods.
– from Japan, Hanamaru Lab have developed teaching materials to help improve children’s problem solving and critical thinking skills
– from India, Million Sparks Foundation is a Google funded tech-led education initiative providing resources for Teacher Capacity Building and enabling teachers to connect and communicate.
– from Brazil, Guten presented the digital solution to support schools that encourages critical reading in students through an interactive platform
– from Mexico, Bedu is a mixed-learning academy for the development of digital programming and business skills. In Bedu students learn through a blended model, studying the theory online and attending classes to strengthen and apply the knowledge acquired
– from Finland, Lyfta brings beautifully crafted immersive storyworlds into classrooms, so children can discover exciting new places and inspiring people from around the world.
– from USA-West, ClassTag a trusted teacher app facilitating parent teacher communication and parent engagement.
– from USA-East, Skillist is a skill-based, identity-blind application platform that connects untapped talent to in-demand jobs.
– from Ghana, The Khalmax Robotics Project empower children all over the world to be problem solvers and innovative thinkers through science and technology
– from Colombia Babysparks is an innovative program that supports early development through meaningful play with over 1300 video-based activities and developmental milestones.
– from Israel skooBi increases effective reading/learning on mobile devices by adapting text to our mobile reading habits, utilizing our AI powered editor we transforms traditional text into a mobile interactive reading experience within minutes.
– from South Africa, Snapplify is specialized in the distribution of digital content for retail and eLearning.
– from Germany, Maphi is an innovative mathematical game with fun and a new approach to solving mathematical problems.
We congratulate the startups that have been awarded alongside us: Lyfta (2nd), Insimu (3rd), Babysparks (People’s Choice).
A big thank you
We would like to take this opportunity to thank our customers and partners who have trusted us to support them in Immersive Learning throughout the year!
Aurélie and Fahd, our representatives in London, also wish to thank MindCet and the entire organising team as well as the sponsors and partners for organizing this amazing evening!
2019 starts on a high note and our team is motivated to live up to this award! If you haven’t yet taken the jump into virtual reality, contact our team for a demo!